Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

A Change of Perspective

        I open my eyes and look up around me to realize that I am alone again. The house is so still and quiet, I can hear myself panting. I pick myself up and stroll over to my bowl of water on the floor to get a drink. Through the window, I can hear the birds chirping outside and someone mowing their lawn down the street; I can tell that it's a beautiful day. I make my way down the hallway to Taylor's room and find one of her fuzzy purple slippers under her bed. I love to carry the slipper around with me all day because it has fur like me and makes me feel less lonely. I don't know where my family goes all day or why they have to leave me behind, but I don't like it. I hear noises just outside the front window, so I run barrel down the hall to the living room. I climb up on the couch which is something that my family would normally yell at me for, but I need to get a good view to see who is walking by my house. I see a woman walking on the sidewalk and on the other end of the leash she is holding, I spot Bruno. Bruno is a an old German Shepherd, and one of my best friends. I bark "Hello" to him and he stops in his tracks to say "Hi" back to me and to tell me to come outside with him. His owner tugs on his leash in frustration, wanting to continue their walk. I bark back that I can't; my family isn't home and I have to stay inside. We exchange a few more words until his owner finally can't take it anymore and drags him down the pavement. Eventually, the excitement of seeing my friend goes away and I am left again with my loneliness. I play with my toys for a little while and run some laps through the house until I finally get tired and decide to lie in my bed for a nap. I wake a few hours later to the sound of footsteps on the porch. I hear someone putting their key into the lock and I spring up from my spot on the floor to run over and greet whoever it is. Taylor walks in and I jump up to lick her face; I'm so happy to see her! She hangs up her bag and kneels down on the floor to scratch behind my ears. "I am glad to see you Rocky! How was your day?" she asks. It was better, now that she was here.

1 comment: