Pages

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Interview

Me: Hi mom, thanks for letting me interview you even though you're trying to eat

Mom: Hi

Me: So you have three children, but what made you want to become a parent in the first place?

Mom: I just really wanted a family to share fun things with and to make memories with

Me: What is your favorite thing about us?

Mom: I love doing fun things with you guys like going on vacation to Maine

Dad: I have loved watching you guys grow and develop over the years

Me: Oh hi dad! Do you want to be interviewed too?

Dad: No, it's ok

Me: Alright, well mom, if you could change anything about the way we were raised, would you?

Dad: I would've made you guys play more sports

Me: Thanks MOM

Mom: I actually agree with him

Me: Ok, moving on. So far, have we turned out the way you expected us to?

Dad: We've never really had expectations for you guys, we just wanted you all to be happy. If there's one thing that I've learned as a parent, it's that you can't control everything. I learned that when you're mother was wheeled away in the hospital to give birth to your older brother.

Mom: Why are these questions so hard?

Me: They're actually really simple, you're just overthinking it. Anyways, what were your parents like?

Dad: They were hardworking, understanding and supportive

Mom: Yeah, so were my parents. They weren't too strict either

Me: How do you think they influenced the way that you parent?

Dad: I copy my parents a lot with the good and bad things that they did. I think I have my mother's sense of humor when it comes to parenting

Mom: I have learned a lot from their mistakes, but I also do carry on the positive things that they did

Me: Mr. Sheehan has told us in class how after you have children, you can't do a lot of things that you once wanted to do. Do you guys ever regret having kids?

Mom & Dad: No, never

Me: What have you learned from having children?

*Dad leaves room*

Mom: I used to be very quiet and passive, but since I have had kids, I have learned to speak up more quickly not just for you guys, but for myself and everyone else around me.

Me: I know you guys said before that you don't regret having kids, but it must not have always been easy. What is the biggest challenge you have had while raising us?

Mom: Being consistent with our parenting. We learned that if we said, "Don't do that again or you're going in time-out" that we would have to put you in time-out if you disobeyed us. If we didn't do this, then you would never learn to respect us and follow the rules

Me: How different am I from when I was younger?

Mom: Um, you got bigger, taller, older.... How am I supposed to answer this ?

Me: Like how has my personality changed?

Mom: Oh, well even though you are very quiet in school, you have gotten more outspoken and outgoing in other public places and at home

Me: Ok mom, last question: Do you want my teenage years to be anything like yours?

Mom: Yes! I had a good high school experience, participated in lots of activities and kept out of trouble. I definitely want you to have something like that

Me: Awesome! Well, thanks for helping me mom

Mom: No problem

No comments:

Post a Comment